The Galata Tower gives you the best view of Istanbul and a view across the Bosphorus, the Golden Horn, and the Princes' Islands. This is the best place for a romantic view of the sunset. Its upper balcony offers 360-degree views of the city.
At 67-meters (219 feet) high, the Tower can be seen from many neighboring districts of the city. It was built in 1348 by Genoese merchants residing in Galata as part of the defense wall surrounding their district at Galata directly opposite ancient Constantinople. They called the tower "Tower of Christ." The Genoese were involved in trade with the Byzantines, and the tower was used for the surveillance of the harbor in the Golden Horn. After the conquest of Constantinople by Mehmet II, the tower became a prison and naval depot. During the 19th century, it was a fire lookout post in order to quickly detect frequent fire outbreaks in the city’s mainly wooden houses.
In the 17th century, Hezarfen Ahmed Celebi flew over the Bosphorus from the Galata Tower with his handmade wings and landed in the Uskudar district on the Asian side, nearly 4 km. in the air. He was the first Turk to successfully maintain unpowered flight.